Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Incorrect Traditions of Our Own Faithful Fathers

What makes Mormons immune from the incorrect traditions of their fathers? Every single early saint was a convert, and converts almost universally struggle to let go fully of the incorrect traditions of their upbringing. So do members who are "born in the covenant" (since all of us carry our own individual perceptions, many of which are not Truth), so why would the early Church be immune from it?


Personally, I believe one of the most important aspects of the first 100-150 years (at least) of the Church's existence was its evolution away from its roots in apostate Protestantism - the pruning of the incorrect traditions (the bitter fruit mentioned explicitly in Jacob's allegory of the olive tree) of their and our fathers. That growth might be mostly complete by now - and it might not. The attendant changes don't bother me a bit, because I can't envision any other pattern that I like - and certainly not a scriptural one.


That's the biggest reason I am unfazed by ever evolving policies and even doctrinal understandings - that I see such change as inevitable, desirable and even necessary as we strive to see through our glasses, a little less darkly than occurred in our collective and individual pasts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time did you write this post? Isn't it kind of Early?

Anyway I see what you mean but I want to ask: isn't it part of the fun?
I mean if we were truly clean sheets the gospel would be obvious and then we would only have to fight "the natural man".

I like what you said in the last paragraphe. I aggree with you but the way you said it is one way I have never thought of and it gives me something to think about so as to divert my mind from its gloomy thoughts.

Papa D said...

b&a - It definitely is part of the fun for me. I couldn't handle being in a religion with a static doctrinal base and a closed canon. I LOVE the fact that even major things can change - that on-going revelation really is on-going and has a real impact on our understanding.

Any time you want a diversion, come on over. I'll do my best to entertain you. *grin*

ellen said...

i also appreciate ongoing revelation. what i hope is that changes are explained in such a way that both the before and after are understood in the context of doctrine. i don't want change to look like a desire to win the church popularity contest.

KrizteeTrain said...

Thanks again for your insight--sometimes it is hard for me to see my family communicate about the church because it is so easy to become close-minded about something. "Well the scriptures say..." and "Well Brigham Young said..." are all too familiar to me, and while I think it is very important to sustain and follow the words of the apostles, I think I bit of healthy doubt/skepticism for things we do not understand is also important. (Re: Dallin H. Oaks response to Priesthood Ban).

Anonymous said...

It really excites me that the spirit can work with our individual families to correct these incorrect traditions,which may not be doctrinal but are often attitudinal.I have observed both in my own family and others that we can misinterpret doctrine in order to maintain our own pathology,or indeed the spirit may create opportunities for us to call those assumptions into question.This really bears witness to me of the truthfulness of the gospel and of the grace of the spirit.I look forward so much to further questioning my own assumptions about ourselves.