Friday, April 17, 2009

My 300th Post: Acceptable Graven Images

Moroni 7:14 says:

Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.


When one desires so strongly to connect to God that he uses an image or object that appears to represent a prophet or God, and when she is unable to admire or worship without it (that it infringes on the connection that exists without the image or object) then it truly has become a graven image, no matter how harmless or even uplifting the image or object is otherwise.

On the other hand, if it does not interfere with direct worship, I have a hard time labeling it as a graven image. In that case, it simply becomes a religious symbol - and religious symbols are both important and powerful reminders of deeply held faith and commitment. If a friend were to give me a cross, for example, as an expression of their realization of how important Jesus is to my faith, I would have no problem wearing it as a token of that faith - and I would be grateful for the feeling and recognition behind the gift. It certainly would not constitute a graven image in how I would use it.


(Thank you, MH, for prompting me to count my published posts and realize this is #300.)

4 comments:

Mama D said...

300?! I need to step it up a notch. (*grin*) I will never be able to catch up with you and your posting schedule. Post away, dear, post away. We all enjoy your insights.

KrizteeTrain said...

Interesting post. How do you feel about Hinckley's assertion that "our people" are the symbols of our faith?

I don't want to confuse doctrine with practice, but I do feel that, in this case, even though I agree with your explanation of graven images, I would not wear a cross, even if given to me by a friend.

Thanks again for your commitment to your blog (and our spiritual enlightenment).

Papa D said...

Wow; there is something where I am ahead of my wife!

KT, I like that quote from Pres. Hinckley and agree with it - for better or worse. *grin*

Tasha said...

Well seems like we should have had some sort of posting party. I don't remember getting an invite :o)