Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Embracing Grace

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me - confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me."

I have been struck recently by how little we discuss grace. We talk about the Atonement and faith and hope and works and love and forgiveness and so many other things, but we rarely talk about grace. I understand why, but it disturbs me, nonetheless.

Our understanding of "grace" is found in the Bible Dictionary - linked here. It is obvious from this definition that grace is the heart of the Gospel - that it is the "Good News" that encompasses Jesus' love for us and is the ultimate gift He gives us. It is, in reality, another term for the Atonement, which is why we don't use it much. (We use "atonement" instead.) We believe in grace fully and deeply, but we tend to break it into more easily discussed sub-sections - like those listed in the last paragraph. Again, I understand why we do this, but when we fail to connect the pieces back into the original, complete framework, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of pieces and lose sight of the fact that they really comprise only one full concept - the grace that underlies the Atonement of Jesus.

So, why do we do this?

This will be a simplification, but at the time of the Restoration, the dominant doctrinal argument was over faith vs. works. One camp defined faith by saying, "Confess His name and be saved; works are just what He does through you after that confession," or the other, more extreme denial of works, "God has chosen the saved (applied His grace) and the damned (denied His grace) prior to their birth, and nothing can be done to affect that outcome." The other side hearkened back to the Law of Moses and said, "Grace is a gift that is given to all who earn it."

Since both of these definitions of grace represent the extremes, and since each of them depends on a classic Heaven/Hell split, the Restored Gospel rejected each. In reality, however, the repudiation of works was stronger in Christianity of that day, so the focus within the Church naturally tended to emphasize what was missing "the most" - the need for obedience to commandments, often translated as works. In restoring the concept of multiple, differentiated glories, Joseph Smith correctly focused on those things that are required of God's children in order to reach the highest level of glory- again, often translated as our works. In practical terms, however, this effectively eliminated grace from our active vocabulary. This left us floundering for an answer to the age-old Christian question, "Have you been / When were you saved?"

My answer: We have been saved by the grace of God. That salvation started when Jesus voluntarily offered Himself as our Savior prior to the creation of the world, continued when He was born of Mary, deepened in the Garden of Gethsemane and on Golgatha when He hung on the cross, declared "It is finished," and "gave up the ghost" - and culminated on that Sunday morning when He rose from the tomb, appeared to Mary, ascended to His Father, and became the first fruits of the resurrection. The implications of that grace are enormous and too often misunderstood.

Let me say it again, more plainly. **We have been saved by the grace of God.** It has happened already, completely independent of what we do - except in the case of Sons of Perdition. For all of the rest of us, we have, through His grace, been freed from the bonds of physical and spiritual death and inherited a degree of glory in the presence of God. Even those who inherit the Telestial Kingdom have "inherited" a kingdom of glory and can enjoy the presence of the Holy Ghost - a member of the Godhead. Even they will be resurrected and have been saved from endless torment in the presence of Lucifer. That gift, promised to all but a few who accepted The Father's Plan of Salvation and Jesus as their Savior in the pre-existence, has been purchased already - and all of them have, in a very real sense, "confessed His name and been saved by His grace" prior to being born.

So why do we not discuss this? I believe it is because all the other Christian religions of the day already taught a limited version of this, and the Restoration was about adding more to what they taught - restoring a knowledge of the potential that had been lost. It was all about going beyond the Telestial Kingdom (with the Holy Ghost) and the Terrestrial Kingdom (with Jesus, the Christ) and working toward the Celestial Kingdom (with God, the Father). We stopped talking about grace simply because of how that term was misunderstood by the rest of Christianity - as a way to focus on the ultimate purpose of the gift of grace (becoming like The Father) rather than the prevailing interpretation (praising The Son). [It's like reading the New Testament without any understanding of temples. Temple theology is obvious throughout (e.g., 1 Corin. 15:29 - baptism for the dead), but it is not mentioned explicitly due both to its sacred nature and because those to whom the epistles were addressed understood it without it having to be explicit. It simply was assumed and, therefore, lost when the foundation understanding was lost.]

Why is this important to us - and why did it take me so long to get here?

2 Nephi 25:23 is the most quoted verse about grace in Mormondom. It says, “It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” Many people believe that this means we are only saved if we do all that we can do - if we obey every commandment to the best of our ability. That simply isn't in line with the rest of our scriptures and, more importantly, it leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety about whether or not "I am doing enough." I see this all the time in my discussions with Mama and as I listen to and read the blogs of many women, especially. Rather than seeing the grace of God as a freeing, enabling gift that already has been given, they often internalize it as a reward dangling enticingly in front of them, ready to be withdrawn if they screw up too badly and fail to repent immediately. That leads to guilt and pain and lack of self-confidence, instead of the rest that is promised so beautifully in Matthew 11:28-30.

When I read 2 Nephi 25:23, I explain it by employing a common linguistic technique - switching the phrases to reflect the proper emphasis. In this case, the sentence becomes, "(Even) after all we can do, it is (still) by grace that we are saved." Of course, we are to try to do all that we can do, but exactly what we can do pales in comparison to what He has done - saved us by His grace regardless of what we can do. It takes the pressure off of us and puts the focus where it should be - on His incomprehensible grace that so fully he proffers us.

A very insightful friend recently described the process of "taking my yoke upon you" as feeling the purity and power of His sinlessness. I love that construct, but I would add the following: Understanding and truly accepting God's grace occurs when you realize that all of your inherited weaknesses (your temper, your judgmental nature, your fatigue, your lack of self-worth, your never-ending battles with whatever drives you crazy) - everything that keeps you from becoming who you desperately want to become - has been bought and paid for already. He fought that fight for you, and He won. Yes, you were born with things that keep you from being perfect, but He paid for those things - meaning that you truly can take His yoke upon you and walk confidently at His side as a brother or sister with the same eternal potential. It occurs when you realize that, because of the grace that so fully He proffers you, you aren't required to pay for those things; rather, you are freed to pursue those qualities and characteristics you want to acquire to become perfect (whole and complete) - regardless of the tangible outcome of that effort. Repentance becomes an exciting, forward looking progression toward wholeness, rather than a depressing, backward-looking, guilt-inducing attempt to beat the bad out of you and never again make any mistakes. Bad habits and painful characteristics will disappear as they are replaced by good ones, not as they are "subdued and repressed by sheer force of will."

I believe an understanding of grace is fully realized when one stops fighting God's grace - when he realizes that all God wants is his willing mind and heart - when he quits worrying about his individual worthiness and starts focusing on his contribution to communal unity - when he simply lays it all at His feet and says, in essence, "I know you understand my weakness; I know you know my struggles and pains; I know you know how I feel about myself; I know you love me and have bought me, anyway. From now on, I will trust your promise and, despite my continuing frustration and my continuing weakness and my continuing failures, I will bounce back each time and continue to grow. I will not despair; I will accept my weakness and imperfection and failure, knowing you don't care, because you love me, anyway. I will get back up each time I am knocked down and continue to walk toward you, until you embrace me and say, 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant' - knowing I don't deserve it and being eternally grateful for the grace that so fully you proffered me."

11 comments:

Mama D said...

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me - confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me."

I am amazed and a bit confused at how completely He proffers the gift of grace. But I am eternally grateful for it, and for the opportunity to learn to accept His grace fully.

Thank you for posting this. I need to be reminded that I am already saved by His enabling grace, for He has bought and paid for me and my sins/weaknesses/sorrows. I will re-read this often. It will be like having one of our discussions!!

Patty said...

I really like this reminder- it reminds me of the talk about believing Christ, and not just believing in Him.
A lot of times I think that we as women have a disconnect from the doctrine of grace. We feel the pressure to be the best we can be (and even to be THE best, period) and we forget that even if we do attain our personal best it still wouldn't be good enough without the grace of Christ. It's so hard to let go of that part of us that wants to be able to control where we are going and how we're getting there. Isn't it easier to keep doing and doing and doing, than to take a step back, relax and trust in His grace to help us do what we need to?
Thank you for sharing your insights (again!!)

Rob and Crys said...

Thanks, Ray I need to read that. It is what Rob keeps trying to tell me.

ANTSYLLI said...

"(Even) after all we can do, it is (still) by grace that we are saved." I loved this rephasing. It really did help me understand this vital principle of the gospel better. Thanks for your insight. You continue to inspire me. Every time I read your blog, I am reminded of something important.

Anonymous said...

And it's His grace that helps us do all we can do, too. :)

Papa D said...

Amen, m&m.

(Now I have to untie my tongue.)

Anonymous said...

"Many people believe that this means we are only saved if we do all that we can do - if we obey every commandment to the best of our ability. That simply isn't in line with the rest of our scriptures and, more importantly, it leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety about whether or not "I am doing enough." I see this all the time in my discussions with Mama and as I listen to and read the blogs of many women, especially. Rather than seeing the grace of God as a freeing, enabling gift that already has been given, they often internalize it as a reward dangling enticingly in front of them, ready to be withdrawn if they screw up too badly and fail to repent immediately."

Yes, it has often been my impression (going on relatively little) that many LDS interpret and internalize this scripture in precisely the way you describe. So to what extent would you say my impression is correct? That is, would you say that in fact MOST LDS emphasize the "doing" over the grace in their day to day lives? Or is it just women? If so, why is that, and what's the solution? How can leaders emphasize grace without appearing to undermine the importance of doing all we can do? (Or do you think the "doing" should be undermined a little bit?)

Papa D said...

Lurkgirl, thanks, seriously, for reading this. You asked some great questions.

I don't want to de-emphasize or undermine the "doing" - since I really do believe it is the attempt to "Just do it" that brings true growth. The last thing I want to do is encourage in any way an embrace of the "confess His name, kick back and relax" attitude. However, I really believe that the grace that underlies and empowers us to "do" is kind of an unspoken assumption for many leaders. As I said in the beginning, the concept of grace is interwoven into almost all of the discussions of the Atonement, but it is easy to let it slide to the background.

I think self-criticism is more prevalent among women (not just in the Church) due to the difference between estrogen and testosterone - and the cultural and historical need for women to "please" men in order to obtain security and safety. When your very survival and perception of self-worth is wrapped in how you are perceived by others, I think it strengthens an already large hormonal gap between the sexes - which plays out theologically and doctrinally as a difficulty accepting that one's best effort is good enough, especially without direct, tangible, immediate proof of that.

Unfortunately, that tendency is reinforced every time a woman is drawn to and coupled with a man who puts conditions on his love and protection (her peace and security). It's hard to let go of that type of cultural conditioning, and gender-differentiated roles (which I support in the context of equal partners) are easy to manipulate to deepen that conditioning.

My only answer is in the full Restored Gospel of Christ (not what is practiced by too many in the world and even the Church, but what is taught in the actual Gospel itself) - and that's too comprehensive to answer here. Read "Carrying His Burdens" and "The Wonder of Warts" - as well as "My Niece Died This Morning" on this blog. I tried to address some of these things in those posts.

Papa D said...

I forgot to answer one question:

I think leaders simply need to make it more explicit that God's grace has freed us to pursue the highest realms of glory without having to worry about being rejected as unworthy of loving reward. It's a very fine line, and I really do believe that the worldwide leadership is preaching this much more than before. Elder Oaks' talk on "Becoming" comes to mind immediately as an example, as well as his latest treatise on "Good, Better, Best".

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my questions, Ray. This does help my understanding a bit.

Chantelle said...

What a lovely post. It is so refreshing to come across LDS with these kinds of views - a lot of the time in church you can feel like your salvation is dependent upon a never-ending checklist of tasks. I needed to read this today. Thank you :-)