Wednesday, April 15, 2009

For All Those Who Struggle In Any Way

Elder Wirthlin's analogy of God's orchestra needing more than just the piccolos to express the full beauty of His creation became an instant favorite of mine the moment he uttered it. I just came across another talk he gave (in the October 2006 General Conference) [Thanks, Paradox.] that touched me just as deeply and brought tears to my eyes as I read it again - and immediately reminded me of all those who struggle in any way, inside or outside the Church.

I hope it touches you as it touched me on this Easter weekend - especially coming from a truly gentle, beautiful apostle of the Master. I miss Elder Wirthlin, and I am confident, for him, Sunday has come.

"Each of us will have our own Fridays--those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays.

"But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death--Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.

"No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or in the next, Sunday will come."


Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Sunday Will Come," Ensign, Nov. 2006, page 30

If anyone wants to watch the entire talk, the video can be accessed at:

Sunday Will Come (Video)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, and for reminding me of the talk. Elder Wirthlin gave the talk while I was going through a particularly rough patch in my life, and his message of hope resonated with me.

I was living in my "Friday," with a dim hope that "Sunday" would come.

The really awesome thing - I know that our Sundays DO come. (Now, I'm finally there!) I'm grateful for Elder Wirthlin's talk and for the eternal principle that we will not have to suffer forever, but that we will comforted, relieved, and we will overcome the trial.

Thanks again.

Jacob J said...

Based on the title, this post is not for me.

Papa D said...

That's neat to hear, choc. It really is an inspiring message.

Jacob, then why leave a comment? *grin* (Actually, I had to laugh when I read your comment, since it's something I might have written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and a grin on my face.)

Mama D said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's a poignant reminder that "Friday" will end, and after a three day wait (ie: not an immediate "Friday night/Saturday morning" resolution) "Sunday" will always arrive.

Tasha said...

thank you.