Friday, August 17, 2012

It Takes a Fine Meeting to Be Better than No Meeting

The last two wards I have attended have had wonderfully spiritual talks and Sunday School classes, generally - with enough boredom and lack of inspiration to highlight the normally excellent spirit and instruction. I think it's not unrelated that both wards have experienced and are experiencing greater growth than average in their respective stakes and regions - and that retention is very high, as well.

I believe strongly that the single most important thing we can do in the Church is make our meetings a spiritual feast that our members anticipate attending and mourn when they miss. One of my favorite quotes is, "It takes a fine meeting to be better than no meeting" - so I want our meetings to be fine.
 
The alternative for too many is to settle for no meetings.

3 comments:

Paul said...

I agree with you, Papa D! While the perceived quality of a meeting often depends on the intentions & preparations of the attenders, it's incumbent upon bishops, quorum & RS leaders and organization presidents to see that teaching is excellent in our meetings.

(I heard Elder Packer say that sentence that is your title as he spoke in a regional PH leadership meeting in Michigan a number of years ago. I think he really, really believed it, too; and it was a great meeting.)

nevadavans said...

Just wondering if you have a reference for this quote? I've been looking for it and just wondered if you could help me find that. Thanks.

Papa D said...

I don't have a source, since it is something I heard years ago in some meeting. The quote has remained with me, and I use it often - but the source is gone from my memory.

Paul's comment about hearing Elder Packer say it tells me it's one that has been around for a while and used, probably, by more than one person.