Wednesday, November 2, 2011

We Know Far Less of Life Than We Tend to Think We Do

One of the most baffling aspects of life for me is the stark difference in experiences among humans. I can't explain it - other than to state that I am positive it has little if anything to do with effort or sincerity or even "faithfulness", since I know of any number of people who are more of each of those things than I am but who have not had experiences like mine. It truly baffles me, and I don't hold it up as proof of anything - except that we know far less of life (both here and not here) than we tend to think we do. Of that, I am certain - and, ironically, that is one of the things from which I have found great comfort and strength and peace.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I feel the same way.

ji said...

Not only do we know far less regarding this mortal life than we think we do, but even more certainly we know less regarding our pre- and post-mortal life than we think we do. All we have are some glimpses, but those glimpses are enough for some to form very definite and concrete opinions about social and domestic arrangements and other details of our previous and future lives. It's okay for one to have these opinions -- but it is problematic when one believes his or her opinions are the doctrines of the Church and the kingdom of God which must be shared by all others who call themselves faithful.

Matthew said...

I have been pondering the parable of the 12 workers for a few days now, and I have found some new insights. If one looks at it as a commentary on the final judgement, I think that it is going to be surprising to us that people who labored for only one hour, as it were, are able to receive the same reward as those who labored longer.

I have also thought about who exactly we have offended to require justice be done - and that would be each other. Here then is the real miracle of forgiveness, because if we relinquish our claim to justice willingly, then justice will be satisfied and mercy given.

And then I consider the consequences of not forgiving - requiring each other to submit to the demands of justice, impeding our growth and progression.

I agree, Ray, that we don't have the faintest clue how everything will shake out, and why so many suffer so horribly with no mortal relief. I have faith that all can be made whole through the Atonement, but it is still hard.

Anonymous said...

That's us there-not even a dot on the Mandelbrot set...

How lovely to think we have no idea how this is going to turn out,that 'there's a divinity that shapes our ends ,rough hew them how we will'

I agree that there is great comfort in this.

wage slave said...

Moses 1:10
"...Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed."

When we are smaller, God is bigger.