Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Menial As Important

I think menial service is incredibly important - another one of life's great paradoxes.

Actually, it would be more accurate to say that I believe in the servant model of Jesus' life - which makes all service important, especially the stuff that those who won't deign to do it call menial. To me, the menial is the heart of the Gospel - the Good News that our menial concerns matter to He who controls the universe and should matter equally to His children.

I also think this probably is where we fail to understand Jesus the most in our practical lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Michael Chabon wrote an essay a while back in which he suggested that the measure of our love for another was the variety of their bodily fluids with which we had come into contact!

For him,the experience of having children obviously ticked all those boxes-an interestingly visceral way of looking at love.

The most loving people I have ever met are those who administer to the bodily needs of their fellow humans.

We tend to look at those tasks as menial,won't it be beautiful when we honour them for their true value.