Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Place of Grace in Repentance

The following is something that I posted exactly two years ago as I was pondering being poor in spirit. I have believed the central principle for some time, but the specific aspect of salvation as it applies to this life is something I had not put into words previously. I decided to re-post it today in the hope that someone who wasn't reading my blog back then might benefit from it - or it might touch someone again who read it and forgot about it.
--------------------------------------------
Those who crucified Jesus did so because they could not accept Him as the one who gave them their law (Jehovah) and would pay for their sins (Jesus). They said, in essence, "We don't need you. We are children of Abraham. We are fine. We'll do it on our own."

We decry deathbed repentance, particularly for those who consciously choose to procrastinate repentance until the end - to do what they want to do until they are facing death and the possibility of judgment. At the same time, too many members view grace, faith and works as follows:

I must do everything I possibly can do; I must give my all; I must wear out myself trying to do what He has asked me to do - then, after I have done my all, He will accept my effort and help me do more.

That might not be the exact same mentality as "deathbed" repentance, but it is at least "hospital bed" repentance. In very real terms, it is saying, "I will let you know when I need you," which really is the same mentality as the one who procrastinates the request for help until his deathbed. It also means that I will not receive the help He can give AS I struggle - which means I will not experience His freedom and joy until my frustration nearly (or completely) breaks me. Yes, I will then be blessed, but I will have missed SO much in the meantime.

Hillary Weeks has a song entitled "Unwritten". The central message is, in my own words:

"As I review the pages of the book of my life, I am grateful for what I read (what I have experienced), but I am most grateful for what has remained unwritten - those things from which the grace of God has shielded me - those things I have not had to experience - those things from which I have been saved in this life."

Jesus, as the Christ, saved us from the effects of our actions that otherwise would limit us in the next life, but Jesus, as the exemplary man, showed us a way to be saved from much of the effect of our fallen existence in this life. In a very real way, not accepting what He paid so dearly to provide until we have exhausted ourselves is no different than not accepting that His offer was ever made in the first place, since they both tell Him to get lost until we get a handle on it on our own. That's worth pondering all by itself.

2 comments:

ji said...

Thanks for re-posting. There are a lot of things we say in manner of explanation, which might serve the original purpose, but then might cloud truth if continually used. We come to internalize the explanation, and might never focus on that the explanation isn't pure truth, it's just an explanation or illustration. Your posting helps me see past the explanation and reminds me of pure truth. Thanks...

Matthew said...

"I must do everything I possibly can do; I must give my all; I must wear out myself trying to do what He has asked me to do - then, after I have done my all, He will accept my effort and help me do more."

I used to believe that.

Now I believe this:

I cannot do everything I possibly might, I cannot give my all, and God does not want me to wear myself out. He offers me His love and support at all times, and in all places, and provides a cup of blessings deeper than I am able to empty.

Thanks for the post - it is always a good thing to be reminded of.