Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What My Midnight Memories Mean to My Eternal Perspective

When our first child was born, we lived in Somerville, MA. When he was just a few months old, he would fuss a lot about 10:00-11:00 each night. I would put him in our front-pack (whatever they are called), walk to the bus stop and ride the bus toward Cambridge until he fell asleep - then return with him sleeping against my chest. That was one of the best feelings I have ever experienced.

That was over 20 years ago, and I still can remember it like it was yesterday. I love and appreciate anything that takes me back to when my children needed me in a way that is unimaginable to those who have not experienced it. Even though it led to sleep-deprivation, (as I had to get up 2-3 hours later), I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

It is these experiences that give me a tiny, tiny, tiny glimpse of the ultimate joy contained within Mormon theology regarding eternal parenthood.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

I'm grateful you had these amazing experiences with him - and grateful that you took our fussy son out for a soothing bus ride so I could get some sleep!!!