Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolution: 2010

For the past two years, I have focused on the Sermon on the Mount as the center of my New Years' Resolutions. The posts introducing why I have done so and detailing my actual resolutions can be found at the following links: New Year's Resolution and New Year's Resolution - 2009. This year, I am keeping the same basic resolution (to become more Christ-like) but changing the scriptural focus of my effort.

My focus this year will be on developing greater charity, specifically through striving to internalize the ways in which charity is manifested in I Corinthians 13:4-7. This passage states:

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not
itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own,
is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but
rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all
things, endureth all things.


Since there are twelve distinct menifestations listed in these verses, I am going to organize my resolution for 2010 the same way I have for the previous two years - one per month throughout the year. Thus, my resolution will be:

January: Suffer longer in kindness.
February: Envy less.
March: Be less "vaunting" of myself and less "puffed up".
April: Behave more seemly.
May: Seek less my own.
June: Be less easily provoked.
July: Think less evil.
August: Rejoice less in iniquity and more in truth.
September: Bear more things.
October: Believe more things.
November: Hope more things.
December: Endure more things.

Just as I have for the past two years, I will post about this resolution each Saturday throughout the year. Any thoughts at the beginning would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Mama D said...

Great scripture to internalize in becoming more Christ-like. I look forward to taking this year's journey with you. Love you!

Christy said...

What a wonderful idea. I look forward to being taught from your reflections.

Matthew said...

Awesome! The ethics of the gospel in a nutshell - what a great resolution. I too look forward to hearing your thoughts.