Friday, November 8, 2013

Some of My Favorite Religious Quotes

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine (Rich Alger) wrote a post in which he shared some of his favorite inspirational quotes.  The following are the quotes that came to mind immediately at that time.  There are many more I could share, especially from the writings of C.S. Lewis and Louis L'Amour (a veritable quote machine), but these are the ones of which I thought when I read Rich's post - thinking specifically about "religious" quotes:


"For now we see through a glass, darkly." (Paul, the apostle - I Corinthians 13:12)

"Some are lost because they are different. They feel as though they don’t belong. Perhaps because they are different, they find themselves slipping away from the flock. They may look, act, think, and speak differently than those around them and that sometimes causes them to assume they don’t fit in. They conclude that they are not needed.

Tied to this misconception is the erroneous belief that all members of the Church should look, talk, and be alike. The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole.

This variety of creation itself is a testament of how the Lord values all His children." (Joseph B. Wirthlin, the apostle - "Concern for the One")

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. (Joseph Smith, 11th Article of Faith - and I wish members of the LDS Church really, fully understood and accepted this statement and ALL of its implications)

"We don't believe what we see; we see what we believe." (not sure of the source)

"In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see . . . Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee." (Susan Evans McCloud, "Lord, I Would Follow Thee"

"I am a child of God." (Naomi W. Randall, "I Am a Child of God")

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me, confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me." (Charles H. Gabriel, "I Stand All Amazed"

Please share any religion-related quotes that are especially meaningful to you. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

"I stand all amazed" is definitely one. Proverbs 3:5-6 is another. And pretty much anything that Elder Holland says. For instance, part of something I saw on Facebook yesterday: "Faith is for the future." (In a talk about not dwelling on our past mistakes.)