Monday, January 20, 2014

Spirituality and a Weird Manifestation of Humility

I absolutely believe there is a spiritual dimension of life, but I believe people are "sensitive" to the Spirit to widely varying degrees.  I also believe that, for many people, there's very little they can do to tap into it "on their own" more than they are inclined naturally to do without it morphing into pure emotionalism - and I don't like anything that substitutes pure emotionalism for spirituality.

That's the rub, in my opinion - that those who are more sensitive assume their sensitivity level is the norm and available to all, and, thus, there must be something "wrong" with someone (or in someone's life) if that person isn't as sensitive. It's not the fault of the spiritually sensitive person, and, in most cases, they aren't being arrogant.  They simply don't understand others who feel and experience things differently, so they often think:

If someone as weak and unworthy as I am can feel this, surely everyone can feel it just as well.

It's a weird manifestation of humility in those cases, and it's more common than most people understand, I think.  I can't get upset at them, even though I believe that perspective can harm those toward whom it is focused. 

2 comments:

Ben said...

So what, in your opinion, separates the ream of emotionality from spirituality? Is it something you have to experience to understand? I think I might be one of those spiritually handicapped people, but how would I know?

Papa D said...

I really don't have a formula, Ben. I really do think it's individual, since I really do believe people vary radically in how they feel things. I know people who claim it's all emotions, and I can understand that view, but I've had experiences I believe are spiritual and not merely religious.

It would be nice, in some ways, if it was more objective - but then it would be nothing but a formula, and I don't believe spirituality works that way.

Maybe it's the randomness or unpredictability that is the key for me - the fact that it's hasn't been formulaic for me.