Saturday, December 7, 2013

Repudiating Racism in Our Mormon Past: An Update with Yesterday's lds.org Statement

Back in April 2009, I wrote a post compiling the most direct, explicit statements from LDS Church leaders about racism and previous justifications for the Priesthood ban.  The Church just published an updated statement in its online Gospel Topics section entitled "Race and the Priesthood", so I edited my previous post to include the latest statement.

I am including two links in this post: the first to the official statement published yesterday afternoon and the second to my updated compilation post.

Please, anyone who reads this post, share both links.  This is information that must reach as many members as possible.

Race and the Priesthood

Repudiating Racist Justifications Once and for All

4 comments:

Cheryl McGuire said...

Can you link to the recent newsroom article? I can't find it. (not the link to the race and the priesthood page, but the online news article.)

Thanks!

Papa D said...

Cheryl, I must have been distracted when I wrote that. (I think I wrote it here and then copied it into a Facebook post without looking really closely, as well.) It was not the newsroom; it was the Gospel Topics section of lds.org.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am going to update the post now to fix that mistake.

cheryl said...

Thank you. Yours was the first post I read about this - I see it is all over everywhere in the Bloggernacle.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I know this is is old but I am going through this now my husband has chosen God over his kids I feel so lost...