Friday, December 20, 2013

Hitler Might Not End Up in Hell: Why I Believe This Life Alone Does Not Determine Our Eventual End

When it comes to who we believe will be punished for their actions, we make exceptions all the time, gladly, for those whom we understand to be less than fully accountable for those actions – including their acceptance of Jesus and/or Heavenly Father in this life. We generally limit that type of exception to children and the mentally disabled, but I have no idea about any specific limitations Hitler might have had that might have limited his accountability – so, even in that case, I’ll leave the judgment to God.

(Psychopaths are a fascinating discussion when dealing with agency and accountability, since, by clinical definition translated into Mormon-speak, they are understood to be unable to feel the type of remorse that leads to repentance. Were Hitler, Dahmer, Bundy, etc. truly accountable? I certainly want to believe so, but I simply have no idea when it comes right down to it.)

I like the more complicated, multiple-glories concept of Mormonism specifically because it leans toward a break down of the tendency to categorize and judge others – to label them as either Heaven-bound or Hell-bound - to damn them in a real and practical way in our own minds. Sure, we still do it with three degrees of glory and Outer Darkness (and even degrees within the Celestial Kingdom), but the more gradations there are the less likely we are to be positive we understand someone well enough to make that call – or, at least, I hope that is the case.  

If even for no other reason than that, I like the multiple degrees of glory far more than the heaven/hell split. I prefer a simple “many mansions theology”, and I like the idea of etermal progression that ends only when each person has reached his or her ultimate potential (whatever that is individually) – so I tend not to accept the idea that our final reward is determined when we leave this mortal existence. I see at least five stages of development built into our theology already – so, while I don’t believe in multiple mortal probations exactly, I certainly am open to the idea of more stages after mortal death about which we simply don’t have or need information at this time.

2 comments:

Eric said...

"...so, while I don’t believe in multiple mortal probations exactly, I certainly am open to the idea of more stages after mortal death about which we simply don’t have or need information at this time"

When reflecting on this life as a stage of our eternal progression, I can't help but wonder what happens to the infant who dies and hasn't really had time to gain any practical earth-life experience? Are they just done? My understanding is that Mormons reject reincarnation because of scriptures which teach of the resurrection which follows death. Also because of those that teach that this life is a probationary state and the need fore obedience is due to the shortness and singularity of this life. That being said, I don't see why life can't be a probationary state, yet for those who don't have sufficient time and/or opportunities for the growth experiences they need, it can be repeated. After all, God it just and certainly we are not all given equal opportunities to grow. Moreover belief in the eventual ressurection doesn't exclude the possibility of multiple mortal experience PRIOR to such resurrection. Anyways, I suppose we will speculate until our next life....or the one after. ;) Great post!

Papa D said...

Yeah, Eric, I don't believe in multiple mortal experiences, but I don't disbelieve in it, either - especially in cases like the ones you highlighted.