Monday, August 5, 2013

Tithing is Not a Financial Insurance Policy

I don't tie financial reward to the payment of tithing, like paying tithing is some kind of financial insurance policy. I would be a hypocrite if I did. I've lived the extremes - paying tithing and losing a house, paying tithing and getting help from the Church to stay in a house, and paying tithing and keeping a nice house.

I don't doubt some people's experiences with really cool things that helped them pay their bills, but I don't believe it is the default for all tithe payers. The rain falls on the just AND the unjust, and financial hardship hits the tithe-payers AND the non-tithe-payers.  Also, I do believe that those who contribute a significant part of their income to some cause tend to live more within their means - probably because they have to be more conscious of a budget.

I'm not saying there are no significant benefits to paying tithing.  I believe there are great blessings, and I believe in the windows of heaven promise of Malachi.  I just don't pay expecting to receive financial benefits; I pay to help fund the operation of the LDS Church and build the kingdom. 

That's enough for me.  Any other blessings are an unexpected gift. 

1 comment:

Patty said...

I definitely don't see tithing as a financial insurance policy either, but...I have to concede that it's more than just coincidence that since my husband and I started paying tithing he has consistently gotten better paying jobs and we have had less financial hardship. Not that we haven't struggled with unemployment, medical and other expenses, etc. but we've rarely needed outside assistance while faithfully paying tithing. Before that, we struggled all the time just to have the necessities. :)