Monday, August 26, 2013

Time Away This Week: My Dad Is Dying

My father has reached the point in his life where he is ready to die.

He has taken care of my mom, under difficult circumstances for decades, and he knows she will be okay now - that my brother and his wife will take over her care. He is extremely tired, having lived, in practical terms, many years beyond his age. (If you want to read a tribute I wrote about him six years ago, the link is: "My Niece Died This Morning") He has stopped taking his medication and stopped eating and drinking. He might pass away this week, or it might take a little longer - depending on if he decides to eat or drink a little occasionally.

My father is one of the most Christ-like people I know in following the injunction:

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for a friend."  

As I wrote in the post linked above, he literally laid down his own life to support my mother in her need - taking up a life he never imagined or desired when they were married.  I will honor him forever for that simple, loving action - even if it were the only reason to honor him, which it isn't.  

He is at peace with the decision, and my family is honoring his wishes. He says he wants to see my older sister, his parents and others who have passed on before him.

I am flying to Oklahoma tomorrow to be with him, my mom and my brother and sister who live near them. I will try to check in at night while I am gone, and I have written and scheduled posts for this week (and would appreciate comments on them), but I won't be able to comment much this week.

4 comments:

Mama D said...

One of the things I most admire about you, my sweetheart, is how similar you are to Dad D.

Go in peace, and give Dad and Mom and your siblings a hug for me, too.

Ellen said...

Blessings on your father, you, and your entire family, Ray. A bittersweet time as you love, honor, and miss your father.

SilverRain said...

Be well, Ray. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Paul said...

All the best to you and your family at this tender time, Papa D.