Monday, June 13, 2011

This Perspective Works Best for Me Right Now

There are lots of topics and discussions where, ultimately, my answer is, "I don't know (am not certain), but this perspective works best for me right now." There are many things where I believe my understanding will change over time, as I am exposed to more outlooks, have various experiences, contemplate more deeply and receive greater light and knowledge.

For that reason, the last thing I want to do is shatter someone else's "working perspective" by insisting they see things my way, because:

1) they actually might be right (as much as I might doubt it at the moment);

2) they might be seeing things exactly as they need to see them in order to cope best;

3) they might not be able to see things my way at the moment, even if I am correct.

I see my responsibility as modeling acceptance of different perspectives - simply because I believe it is the right thing to do and because I want them to accept my different perspective. I can't hold them to a standard I myself can't live.

4 comments:

Howard said...

Interesting thought provoking post good points all. Yet growth only comes from gaining a new perspective and that process can be painful. I think that is the healthiest reason we butt heads on the blogs. Insisting probably isn't as effective as demonstrating or causing the other to come to a new conclusion in order to respond. I had a friend who liked to say "let me invite you to a new perspective" which I thought was a classy way to do it. Permeability of thought is a big issue like the optical illusion image of the old woman and the young woman some people lock on to one and lock out the other making it very difficult to communicate they just can't see it.

Richard Alger said...

+1

Dallas, Dad, Big D & I said...

That is absolutely correct. We can't hold folks to a standard that we cannot meet, insofar as being judgmental is concerned. We can however teach, support and encourage a standard even as we try to meet it. That may be a little different than your post was addressing however. Your post is excellent and has given me something to think about--Thanks

Paul said...

I appreciate the "I don't know everything" quality of this post and your thought process. I think it's a valuable (and charitable) one to have, and in the long run it will allow for greater sharing of truth, because it will facilitate greater sharing, period.

Good show!