Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Tribute to President Hinckley

President Hinckley passed away on this date last year. The following is what I wrote in tribute then:

My children really don’t know any other Prophet - not even my oldest in college. My daughters cried when I told them the news.

Along with Pres. Kimball, he was the most gentle, humble, kind man of great authority whom I have ever known. I absolutely LOVED the sparkle in his eyes and voice - that subtle and sweet sense of humor.

From Marlin K. Jensen:

“His keen intellect and thirst to understand how everything works resulted in a storehouse of knowledge that will be nearly irreplaceable,” said Elder Marlin Jensen, the church’s official historian. “I believe he was a true prophet but it didn’t hurt that he was a genius, too.”

AMEN!

I also have been touched by how much he has focused on marriage - begging the brethren of the Church to love and serve and never disappoint their wives - since Marjorie passed away three years ago. His tribute to her in General Conference was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard in my life.

He was such a gentleman - in every sense of the word.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I never had a chance to learn about Pres. Hinckley while he was alive, because I just joined the church in August. It's unbelievable to me to study his life, teachings and accomplishments. I truly wish I would have had a chance to be a member while he was alive. What an absolutely wonderful man. I thank God for prophets of yesterday and today.

adamf said...

One of the most important things I learned from him was from an interview with him and Marjorie. Basically, he said he tried from early on the marriage to give her some room and "let her fly" as he put it. He was an exceptional example of a husband who accepted his wife's influence, something that GREATLY benefits marriages.

Also, just to note, Elder Jensen's son is my bishop. :)