Monday, January 12, 2009

Rethinking Missionary Focus

The missionaries in our mission have been given fascinating instructions in the past year. They have been told to quit emphasizing the total number of contacts and discussions (a disproportionate percentage of which have been first discussions) and start focusing on being better teachers of the Gospel - even if that means teaching fewer lessons. In fact, they were told that they should expect a decrease in total discussions. They aren’t tracking first discussions any more but rather those things that indicate progress - those who allow the missionaries to return, those who read the Book of Mormon, those who attend church, etc.

I love the new directive.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this. Have you seen any difference in the missionaries or their work since the new instructions? It seems as if it should encourage them to focus more on those who are truly interested in learning more.

Papa D said...

I can't chalk it up to this new directive alone, but I believe it plays a part in our recent success. Our ward has had more baptisms this past two months than in the previous two years combined. We have had two full families baptized (parents and children together), along with multiple individuals.

We are focusing really carefully on implementing the counsel in Preach My Gospel, with members inviting friends and family and acquaintances to attend church with them - and there is a real spirituality in nearly all of our meetings as a direct result of attention by our current and most recent bishops.

It's really exciting.

Tasha said...

Sounds great! Wish I were there to see it in action. :o)

Christy said...

I was going to ask for an update on this, but then I read your comment about the progress in your ward. I hope this philosophy spreads because it sounds wonderful.

Joe said...

This is wonderful!!! Can I ask what ward this is? You seem to have went to so many wards when I was visiting there, I was just curious.

Papa D said...

Joe, I am talking about the Fairfield Ward.

Stephen said...

That is really neat.