Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Heavenly Kingdoms As Figurative Descriptions of Eternal Progression

I take the kingdom construct (Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial) figuratively as descriptions of the process of growth, so I absolutely believe in progression from "kingdom" to "kingdom" until each person reaches his or her own limit. I believe the final judgment happens only when that point is reached - and I think it happens long, long after we tend to believe. I take the classic breakdowns within the kingdoms to describe people in this life - and I think the general outlines in the D&C fit that time frame very well.

I believe God is WAY more charitable and powerful than we often envision - and I think he has eternity ("all eternity") to do what he wants to do. After all, "time is measured only unto man" (or however that quote is worded). Thus, I think we talk in terms that will motivate us here and now, but I think we see through a glass, darkly, when it comes to there and then.

Our theology is universalist in nature; our doctrine can't be as universalist if it is to motivate many people to act now. (opposition in all things means ALL things, even our theology and our doctrine) I get that tension, and I'm OK with it - even as I wish we could strike a balance that would work better for me and lots of others I know.

As to life without my loved ones, one of my favorite scenes from any movie is near the end of "What Dreams May Come" - where the husband thanks his wife for being the person he would rather be with forever in Hell than without in Heaven. It's a powerful message, and it's how I feel about my own wife - and children.

I can't imagine God feels differently, and I can't imagine he lacks the ability to make it all work out in the end. After all, charity is defined as the pure love of God - and it includes "long-suffering". I think we simply can't fathom what that term really means.

No comments: