Friday, July 9, 2010

"The Prophet Will Never Lead Us Astray."

Seriously, I have a much more narrow view of that statement than many. “Astray” means “off course”. I don’t think the prophets ever will ask us to believe or do anything that will keep us from whatever higher end we would attain without it - that they will not “lead us astray from” (off course of) our eventual destination. I can’t imagine a prophet saying something like, “It’s OK to go out and commit adultery. In fact, I encourage the membership to do so.” I just don’t see it happening.

I obviously can see mistakes that will cloud our overall understanding for a time (as I view the Priesthood ban, for example), but counsel that will alter our eventual outcome . . . I just don’t see it happening.

Frankly, I think the idea that “never lead us astray” equals “never be wrong” is an unfortunate, indefensible, inaccurate conclusion.

1 comment:

Clean Cut said...

Amen, amen, and amen. Well said, Ray.