Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pres. Hinckley Died Tonight

My children really don’t know any other Prophet - not even my oldest in college. My daughters cried when I told them the news, and it has hit me MUCH harder than I thought it would.

Along with Pres. Kimball, he was the most gentle, humble, kind man of great authority whom I have ever known. I absolutely LOVED the sparkle in his eyes and voice - that subtle and sweet sense of humor. Truly, I thank God for this Prophet.

From Marlin K. Jensen:

“His keen intellect and thirst to understand how everything works resulted in a storehouse of knowledge that will be nearly irreplaceable,” said Elder Marlin Jensen, the church’s official historian. “I believe he was a true prophet but it didn’t hurt that he was a genius, too.”

Amen.

I can't stop thinking about his admonition:

"Do a little more. Be a little better."

Doesn't that say it all?

I also have been touched by how much he has focused on marriage - begging the brethren of the Church to love and serve and never disappoint their wives - since Marjorie passed away three years ago. His tribute to her in General Conference was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard in my life. I cried listening to him that day, and I cried tonight remembering it. I especially was touched by the following:

"My children and I were at her bedside as she slipped peacefully into eternity. As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams."

I am glad he sees her no longer just in his dreams.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

I feel such a sadness that he is gone. :(

Thank you for letting me knoW!

gordonfan said...

Amen my friend, Amen. I havn't felt this way since I lost my father.

ANTSYLLI said...

Papa, once again you have put into words the feelings of my heart. Thanks for bringing me to tears again. I will miss Pres. Hinckley but am thankful for what I learned from him. I know that reunion with his wife was most joyous. How blessed we are to have been able to partake of his wonderful spirit and glean valuable lessons from his example.

Mama D said...

Thanks for your tribute to Pres. Hinckley, and thanks for being there for our kids to talk with them about this.

One of the favorite comments I have read (T&S) is: "The world will never be the same and will always be better because Gordon B. Hinckley walked on it. Till we meet again..."

And I love the way you worded this: "I am glad he sees her no longer just in his dreams."

As much as we will miss him, I am glad they are together again!