Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lessons Learned about Being Poor in Spirit

First, an umbrella comment:

It is amazing what happens when you really focus on something for an extended period of time. I am nowhere close to being completely poor in spirit, as witnessed by the number of times I edited a comment on some of the blogs I frequent, but I am much better than I was at the beginning of the month, as witnessed by the number of times I edited a comment on some of the blogs I frequent. Concentrating on being more poor in spirit had a very real and recognizable impact on my life this month. In many ways, I hate to change my focus, but I know my New Year's Resolution was inspired - and I am looking forward to what I will learn next month about mourning with those who mourn.

1) It is interesting what happens when you stop and think about what you are about to say and ask, "Is this a humble way to say this? Am I seeing both sides? Do I understand what the other person really is saying - not just what I automatically assume s/he is saying?"

2) Being poor in spirit does NOT mean never chastising someone for what they have said or done; it does NOT mean never correcting someone when they are wrong. However, it DOES mean not doing so in ALL cases when someone is wrong in what they say or do. It involves carefully weighing the options and offering a comment that is not personal, or emotional, or hyperbolic - that is not directed at a person but rather what that person said or did.

3) I like myself better when I am focusing consciously on humility.

4) I really, really, really like this New Year's Resolution so far.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

I'm glad you have learned such lessons more in depth. I find it interesting that the slant is toward blogging... LOL

You are a better person today than you were at the beginning of the month. Thanks for your example!