Thursday, December 13, 2007

From the Mouths of Babes

I know a man who is a Bishop. The following is from him:

The most moving moment in a tithing settlement came last year when I asked the children in a family why the Lord asks us to pay tithing. Their response was typical - so that missionary work could be done, so chapels and temples could be built. I then asked, "Why doesn’t the Lord simply tell Pres. Hinckley where all the gold in the world is? Then we could use that to build the temples and do missionary work." One of the young men in the family, an eight-year old, put his hands on his hips, looked at me like "Bishop, you should know better," and said, "Bishop, the reason Heavenly Father asks us to pay tithing is that He is trying to turn us into gold."

3 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks, Ray, for the kind and thoughtful comments over at T & S and for the link to your wife's blog. I look forward to reading the suggested articles and continuing my soul searching.

Louann and Bari said...

PERFECT ! ! ! You need to send that to one of the church publications!

AJ said...

I love it! That is the reason I love being in primary.