Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Progression As a Function of Not Seeing Clearly the End Result

My oldest "non-biological son" sent me a text once that is interesting to ponder:

Someone never goes as far as when they have no idea where they are going.


I see both sides of the coin with this one - that one can stray FAR afield without a conscious destination AND that one can reach unspeakable heights without a ceiling that is fixed in place and immovable.

One of the things I love most about Mormonism's cosmology is that it allows for the ultimate punishment, but it also expands the ultimate reward so far beyond orthodox Christianity that it really establishes its own alternate universe - similar to Buddhism's ultimate universe in many ways. I can wrap my mind VERY easily around the standard Protestant vision of eternity - and that's a HUGE negative to me, since easy just doesn't compel me. There's no mystery in the mainstream Christian conception of Heaven for me, so there's no possible wonder in contemplating it.

I really like the fact that the Mormon vision of the eternities still blows me away and challenges me intellectually. It boggles my mind sometimes to think that Joseph Smith saw things like this - and it makes me appreciate what I see as his struggles to understand how to translate it into a workable, mortal paradigm. I can't imagine trying to do that.

No comments: