Thursday, November 29, 2012

Is Mormonism a Cult? A Profound Article about What a Cult Really Is

The following post gives a stark, graphic picture of what a real cult is - and the concluding paragraph is one of the best summary definitions I've ever read.  It's worth reading, particularly as we hear so many people throwing around the word "cult" to mean nothing more than "those who believe differently than I do".   

Drinking the Kool-Aid: A Survivor Remembers - Jennie Rothenberg Gritz (the Atlantic)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely an interesting article. I don't know a lot about the details, which is my own fault for not looking, but I think her definition of a cult certainly would jive with mine. In the comments, I thought it was interesting that people were saying pretty much any religion is a cult. If you make it that broad, it just becomes meaningless.