Wednesday, December 8, 2010

There Are Things I Keep and Ponder In My Heart

I have had some amazingly personal experiences, and I have had some amazing experiences. There is a big difference. In the latter case, I share them generally without hesitation; in the former case, I share them rarely and with real hesitancy - only when I feel compelled to do so. For me, it usually has more to do with the idea of "casting your pearls before the swine" than with any other way I can explain it.

My deeply personal experiences have an added layer of intimacy that my other experiences lack. I have an intense desire to avoid having them ridiculed or mocked, so I share them carefully and selectively.

This reaction reminds me of Luke 2:17-19. The shepherds broadcast their experience widely, but Mary reacted very differently. With regard to my own deeply personal experiences, I feel much like I imagine Mary felt when this passage says, "(She) kept all these things and pondered them in her heart."

1 comment:

Clean Cut said...

Oh please, do tell! (grin)