Friday, January 25, 2013

Homeschooling is Wonderful - and it Sucks

The range of educational experiences in homeschooling is the exact same as in public schooling.

Homeschooling in general is no worse than public education, but it also is no better.  Just like public school, it depends largely on the teacher.  It ranges from awesome to mediocre to bad to "throw the parents in jail, 'cause what the ____ were they thinking?!?!" I've seen it work wonderfully, and I've seen it really screw up kids.

The worst situations are when parents who can't teach take their kids out of public schools to avoid "bad influences" and "the world". They end up with badly educated, paranoid kids. The best situations are when parents who can teach take their kids out of public schools to enhance their educational experiences and tailor to their own learning modalities.

That's my two cents' worth, anyway. I love homeschooling, but I really hate it.

No comments: