Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Losing as Part of the Atonement

We live in a society that has a problem with winning - simply because it requires losing, as well. What they fail to realize is that it is just as important to learn to lose graciously (to accept defeat with grace even after your best effort and endure to the end as you strive to improve) - as it is to learn to win graciously (to accept victory with grace and humility even if your victory is lop-sided and "worthy" of conceit).

There is a deep connection to how we view the Atonement in there, but most people never consider that aspect of the need for “opposition in all things”.

5 comments:

Christy said...

How perfect this post is for me this week. Based on the things that have been happening, I think it's time I learned how to lose graciously.

Anonymous said...

I can lose graciously. I need to learn to win the same way. I think that God should bless me with much succeed to teach me to win graciously, don't you think?
LOL

Seriously, I never thought about it this way. I like it.

Papa D said...

Christy, I'm glad this post resonated with you. I hope everything works out for the best for you.

back&then, we all can hope, right? *grin*

Anonymous said...

Win/lose.Constructs of our culture?Now may be the time to give some thought to the idea that nobody wins unless everybody wins.I love that idea.

Papa D said...

Anonymous, that would be the ideal, for sure. Of course, there are practical limitations given how we view agency and The Fall, but I think we still should strive for the ideal.