Monday, October 6, 2014

"Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?"

I believe this question might be the most misunderstood, misinterpreted temple recommend question of all of them when it comes to many members of the Church and how they view the temple recommend interview.

The question doesn't ask if we know the LDS Church is the same church that existed after Jesus died. It doesn't even mention the word "church" at all. It asks only about the restoration of the "gospel", and that is extremely important to me. 

Again, this question is not about the restoration of a church - or "the only true and living church". This question is about the restoration of the Gospel - nothing more.

I love the "Restored Gospel" as I understand it. To me, that is what I call "pure Mormonism". When "the Gospel" is described in the Book of Mormon, for example, it basically is focused on faith, repentance, baptism, the Holy Ghost, enduring to the end and the role of Jesus Christ. Therefore, I see the temple recommend question as asking the following questions - and my answer follows each question:

Do I have a testimony of faith - as I understand faith? Absolutely.

Do I have a testimony of repentance - as I understand repentance? Absolutely.

Do I have a testimony of baptism - as I understand baptism? Absolutely.

Do I have a testimony of the gift of the Holy Ghost - as I understand the gift of the Holy Ghost? Absolutely.

Do I have a testimony of enduring to the end - as I understand enduring to the end? Absolutely.
There are elements of the role of Jesus Christ that are unique to Mormonism and the LDS Church, so I would add:

Do I have a testimony of Jesus Christ - as I understand him and his role?  Absolutely. 

That's it for this question, in my opinion. It doesn't ask about anything else, so I don't answer it as if it did.

1 comment:

Richard Alger said...

'I love the "Restored Gospel" as I understand it. To me, that is what I call "pure Mormonism". When "the Gospel" is described in the Book of Mormon, for example, it basically is focused on the faith, repentance, baptism, the Holy Ghost and the role of Jesus Christ. '

I would call "pure Mormonism" as the doctrine of Christ as described in our scriptures.

I love it.