Friday, August 26, 2011

The Words of Normally Quiet Members Often Are the Most Profound

In his wonderful talk, "Concern for the One", Elder Wirthlin said we shouldn't value just the piccolos in our orchestra. Something to consider:

Piccolos are the most easily heard instrument in almost any orchestra, since they are pitched so high. (I view piccolos as mutant flutes - designed specifically to be heard above the other instruments.) So, we shouldn't value only those who are heard the most or the most easily. (e.g., Just because I talk a lot, doesn't mean anything I say is more valuable than something a more quiet, reticent commenter says.)

Many of the most profound things I have heard in church have come from the quiet members whose experiences make what they do share incredibly touching. There are many members from whom I would LOVE to hear more than I do, but when to comment is up to them individually. That's one reason why I enjoy Sacrament Meeting, even with the duds. The format gives me a chance to hear from those who normally don't contribute in an open discussion setting. I generally learn more from them than from an hour long class.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

"There are many members from whom I would LOVE to hear more than I do, but when to comment is up to them individually."

Thanks, honey. Now I have additional ammunition to use when you try to get me to raise my hand or volunteer me to read in SS class... :D